Here various exercises of power have followed one another, perhaps from antiquity, more surely from the High Middle Ages onwards.
Indeed, the name Maubergeon (which still qualifies the medieval keep) is derived from the "mall-berg", the former Merovingian court.
Shortly after the year 1000, a new palace was built on a mound of earth, leaning against the ancient rampart and completed around 1100 by a first tower (the remains of which can be seen in the Jeanne d'Arc square). The complex, surrounded by ditches, was the residence of the counts of Poitou-ducs d'Aquitaine.
The great ceremonial hall was rebuilt by the Plantagenêt family a little before 1200; known as the "Salle des Pas Perdus", with its vast dimensions and its decoration in the Angevin style (blind arches, capitals), it is the official hall of the Palace and remains today one of the most remarkable examples of medieval civil architecture in France.
From the 13th century onwards, the palace became less and less residential, to the benefit of its administrative functions. It underwent new developments around 1380, at the instigation of Jean de Berry: the Maubergeon tower was rebuilt, private apartments (which have now disappeared) were built to the east, a new gable wall enclosed the great hall, pierced by wide windows above monumental sculpted fireplaces. The ensemble heralded the flamboyant Gothic style.
After the French Revolution, the former count's palace was definitively converted into a courthouse until 2019.
Since January 1, 2020, the City of Poitiers is the owner of the Palais. This is a great opportunity to imagine a new city center around the Palace, through new uses and new traffic habits.
In order for the inhabitants and tourists to appropriate this place, many animations are proposed.
UPCOMING EVENTS AT THE PALACE
subject to change - program to come
OPENING HOURS AND PERIOD
The Salle des pas perdus of the Palais and the exhibition "The bear, the swan and the crocodile, animals in the Prince's entourage at the Palace are accessible every day from 11am to 8pm, free entrance.
Reception, store and reservations for guided tours every day: from 11am to 1pm and from 2pm to 6pm.
The Maubergeon Tower is accessible free of charge with a mediator on Wednesday afternoons from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. (last visit at 5:30 p.m.); on weekends, holidays and school vacations from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (last visit at 5:30 p.m.)
More information and reservations for guided tours:
Tel : 06 75 32 16 64
- Wheelchairs are available on request to visit the Palace (see at the Palace reception)
- Production of a video clip presenting the Maubergeon Tower shown in the exhibition room "Les belles heures du Palais". This video allows to contextualize the construction of the tower, and to get acquainted with this space, which is not accessible to the PRM
- The Palace is equipped with magnetic loops